Bono and Edge joined Julie Taymor in New York a few days ago to preview 'Spider-Man: Turn Off The Dark' which is set to open on Broadway early next year.
'It's fun for us to work in a different idiom than we're used to,' explained Bono. 'It's great to not be writing for the first person and to step inside some of these fantastic characters.'
The Spider-Man preview, hosted by Julie, Bono and Edge, took place at The Times Center and this is what we learned.
1. 'Spider-Man: Turn Off The Dark' will open at Broadway's Hilton Theater on February 18th next year, and previews begin on January 16th.
2. It's directed by Julie Taymor ('The Lion King' and Beatles movie 'All Across The Universe' in which Bono played Dr Robert ) and written by Julie
with Glen Berger.
3. The narrative 'follows the story of teenager Peter Parker, whose unremarkable life is turned upside-down - literally - when he's bitten by a genetically altered spider and wakes up the next morning clinging to his bedroom ceiling. This bullied science-geek, suddenly endowed with astonishing powers, soon learns, however, that with great power comes great responsibility as villains test not only his physical strength but also his
strength of character.'
4. Costumes are by Eiko Ishioka (Coppola's 'Dracula' and the Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremony) and according to one early reviewer, they are 'breathtaking'.
5. Edge and Bono have written all the music and lyrics and eight of the songs were previewed by a group of actors, including: 'Bouncing off the Walls', 'Turn off the Dark', 'Bullying By Numbers' and the ballads 'Rise Above' and 'Boy Falls From the Sky'.
6. Sign up for email alerts on the new show here