The second volume of U2's Best of Collection, covering the years 1990-2000, will be released on November 4th. A limited edition Best of the B-sides will also be released, along with a new single Electrical Storm and , in December, a Best Of 1990 - 2000 DVD.
The second volume of U2's Best Of
collection will be released by Universal-Island Records on November 4th. Covering the years from 1990 to 2000
, its sixteen tracks are the highlights of the albums Achtung Baby
, Passengers: Original Soundtracks 1
and All That You Can't Leave Behind
. Two brand new tracks have been recorded for this set, Electrical Storm
, which will be released as a single, and The Hands That Built America
which will feature on the soundtrack to the Martin Scorsese movie The Gangs Of New York, released by Miramax in December 2002.
In addition, four songs, Discothèque
and Staring At The Sun
have been substantially reworked by producer Mike Hedges.
A strictly limited edition run of U2: The Best Of 1990 - 2000
will feature a second cd collection, The Best Of The B-sides
, as well as a bonus DVD
with exclusive content including the History Mix
of U2 in the '90s. This special value set will be available for one week only, after which the A-sides will be sold as a single cd.
The single, Electrical Storm
, due for release on October 21st will be available on two CDs and a DVD format. The tracklistings are:
- CD1 - Electrical Storm (William Orbit Mix) plus two remixes of New York, Nice Mix and Nasty Mix both by KLF's Jimmy Cauty.
- CD2 - Electrical Storm and a live medley of Bad, 40 and Where The Streets Have No Name recorded in Boston on the Elevation tour.
- DVD - Electrical Storm (William Orbit Mix) and video, exclusive sound bites from the band and a collection of photographs by Anton Corbijn.
The video for Electrical Storm
is directed by Anton Corbijn and features actress Samantha Morton, who stars in Spielberg's Minority Report
and received an Oscar nomination for her role in Woody Allen's Sweet And Lowdown
The full album tracklisting is:
- Even Better Than The Real Thing
- Mysterious Ways
- Beautiful Day
- Electrical Storm (William Orbit Mix) (new song)
- Miss Sarajevo
- Stay (Faraway, So Close!)
- Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of
- Gone (new mix)
- Until The End Of The World
- The Hands That Built America (new song)
- Discothèque (new mix)
- Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me
- Staring At The Sun (new mix)
- Numb (new mix)
- The First Time
The 1990s was a period of reinvention and experimentation for U2, embracing rapidly developing technology and incorporating it into their distinctive sound. Many of the tracks on the B-sides collection are remixes of U2 tracks by leading DJs and producers, including Paul Oakenfold and Alan Moulder.
The B-sides tracklisting is as follows:
- Lady With The Spinning Head (Extended Dance Mix)
- Dirty Day (Junk Day Mix)
- Summer Rain
- Electrical Storm
- North & South Of The River
- Your Blue Room
- Happiness Is A Warm Gun (The Gun Mix)
- Salome (Zooromancer Mix)
- Even Better Than The Real Thing (Perfecto Mix)
- Numb (Give Me Some More Dignity Mix)
- Mysterious Ways (Solar Plexus Club Mix)
- If God Will Send His Angels - (Big Yam Mix)
- Lemon (Jeep Mix)
- Discothèque (Hexidecimal Mix)
This collection follows the release in 1998 of The Best Of 1980 - 1990
, which topped the charts and achieved platinum sales throughout the world.
Finally, a Best Of 1990 - 2000 DVD
will be released on December 2nd and will feature promo videos of tracks from the A-sides cd, complete with commentary by the directors, who include Wim Wenders, Kevin Godley, Stephane Sednaoui, Anton Corbijn and Jonas Akerlund. Six bonus tracks are included on the DVD - Please, If God Will Send His Angels, Wild Horses, Lemon, Last Night On Earth
. In addition, many of the tracks feature alternative versions of the clips made for different countries, as early cuts or to accompany different mixes. Further exclusive content includes a mini documentary, The Road To Sarajevo
, filmed in the Bosnian capital in the run up to U2's historic 1997 concert and complete with performance footage.