'Gloria' at 40
Released today for Record Store Day: a limited edition 12” EP on yellow vinyl celebrates forty years of 'Gloria', #RSDBF
Originally released in October 1981, Gloria was the second single to be taken from the album October and has been a live staple ever since. This special anniversary release includes the studio version of 'Gloria' plus three live versions from three different decades.
The 1990s are represented by the Point Depot show on the band's home turf of northside Dublin. Although ticketed as 31st December 1989, the show started at midnight on 1st January 1990 with a live radio simulcast broadcast across Europe.
Side B contains two previously unreleased live recordings of 'Gloria' – recorded at the Fleet Center in Boston during the 2005's Vertigo Tour, and at London's O2 Arena during the third night of their run of shows in the English capital as part of the iNNOCENCE + eXPERIENCE Tour in 2015.
And the full colour gatefold sleeve of this 40th anniversary version comes with a bit of a mystery - despite longtime research and a significant outreach, no-one has been able to figure out the identity of the photographer who shot the photos on the front, back cover and gatefold. (If you’ve got any ideas, add them in the comments below and band management will be sure to follow up.)
- 4-track 12” EP, cut at 45 rpm.
- Pressed on 180gsm transparent sun yellow vinyl.
- Full colour gatefold outer sleeve with high gloss finish, featuring portraits of the band.
- Large poster (600mm x 600mm, folded) with montage of photos from the various live shows across the decades.
1. Gloria (Studio Version)
2. Gloria (Live From The LoveTown Tour, The Point Depot, Dublin, 31st December 1989) – currently unavailable
1. Gloria (Live From The Vertigo Tour, Boston, 26th May 2005) – previously unreleased
2. Gloria (Live From The iNNOCENCE + eXPERIENCE Tour, London, 29th October 2015) – previously unreleased
Gloria is available exclusively at participating independent record stores on Friday 26th November. Full list of stores here.
Record Store Day is the annual celebration of independent record shop culture. Special vinyl releases are made exclusively for the event and many shops and cities host artist performances and events to mark the occasion. There are over 240 shops participating in the UK with thousands celebrating around the globe in what's become one of the biggest events on the music calendar. More on the Black Friday Record Store Day here.